This time I tried to review a book “Samsung Electronic” by Anthony Michell, published by PT Elex Media Komputindo in 2014.
Who does not know SAMSUNG? Seeing its incredible growth in recent years, everyone can see the tremendous growth of Samsung Electronic, it attracts Tony Michell to learn the secrets of the success of the Samsung team.
An increase in Samsung electronic graphics from its original form of a small subcontractor and a collection of consumer electronic tools describes the status of a dynamic multinational company. Writer Tony Michell explains the problems at the beginning of the growth and crisis that occurred in the 1990s and saw the decade of enterprise improvement on forty anniversaries in 2009. Leaded by vice chairman of the millennium vision, Yun Jong-yun, at a very important and full time with a very drastic challenge with sony supremacy among electronic consumers, the problems and pressures are sustained with the age of company maturity and the questions that arise for the new strategy continue to be dynamic with the growth of Samsung electronics.
Samsung Electronic Growth
An increase in Samsung electronic graphics from its original form of a small subcontractor and a collection of consumer electronic tools describes the status of a dynamic multinational company. Writer Tony Michell explains the problems at the beginning of the growth and crisis that occurred in the 1990s and saw the decade of enterprise improvement on forty anniversaries in 2009. Leaded by vice chairman of the millennium vision, Yun Jong-yun, at a very important and full time with a very drastic challenge with sony supremacy among electronic consumers, the problems and pressures are sustained with the age of company maturity and the questions that arise for the new strategy continue to be dynamic with Samsung Electronics growth.
Samsung Electronic Strategic
In the early days of the crisis, what Samsung Electronics did was to clean up, and make sony the benchmark of its growth.
Samsung does not necessarily create new products, but rather learn what it has, and develop it better.
In developing its products Samsung holds the analogy:
- Performing: meeting organizational goals which in various instances requires the company to satisfy its constituent needs or the market for that company exists.
- Administering: regulating, pointing to the ways used to systematize, schedule and program resources and company activities so that jobs are executed at the right time and with fast intensity.
- Entrepeneuring: Creating changes proactive rather than reactive.
- Integrating: Developing a culture of interconnectedness and sympathy to support the company.
Samsung Electronics Life Cycle
“Human life is short, but corporate life should not be like that”. LeeByung-chul
Lee in the early days of his leadership, building the company through the concept of Japanese excellence. This is supported because he is biased to learn Japanese culture from his wife, and make japan as his second home. The dramatic change in Lee’s leadership was when Samsung electronic, which initially produced only household appliances, began to move into microprocessor manufacture. This is done by lee because:
“An anticipatory investment is critical to success in the chip industry because the loss of the right moment for an investment will result in enormous losses.”
Unlike the new companies that usually take on new people in starting their microchip business, Lee develops a culture where he is more listening to his senior managers.
Another factor that helps the development of Samsung electronic is the role of the Korean government that deliberately withholds the entry of ready-made electronic goods from Japan. This policy arises because the Korean government is determined to create an environment that is free from the outside for the electronics industry.
Why Samsung Starts Moving to Microchip Industry?
This is done because the electronics industries in korea is highly dependent on the Japanese chip micro industry. Yet after being studied the components owned by famous brands from japan, the components have in common. And if the Korean industry can not penetrate the micro chip business, then korea can not possibly escape the dependence of the Japanese state.
What Samsung is Dealing with IMF Crisis
- Restructuring: Which initially has 10 business fields, after restructuring process Samsung Electronic has only 4 business areas namely Electronics, Finance, Services and Trading.
- Liquidation: Samsung liquidates its subsidiaries that always lose money such as Samsung Motor.
To achieve success, Samsung Electronic do some things including:
- Develop Human Resources first.
- Capture the culture of the Company.
Encourage employee creativity in a way :
- Create new plans and ideas if the situation changes.
- Think about possibilities to generate new solutions and approaches.
- Using various communication materials and methods to gain support for new ideas.
- Think outside the existing parameters to see how better.
Samsung is actively seeking challenges to create market leader products and solutions. At the individual level, the challenge is known as:
- Capture the opportunities and realize those opportunities.
- Willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Confident and enthusiastic in taking risks.
- Orientation to success.
Samsung strategically chose the best product portfolio to develop, in practice the strategy focus requires every employee to:
- Understand the business environment thoroughly.
- Make plans according to the company’s vision and mission.
- Communicating a shared vision.
Another Samsung culture is speed, where every employee must:
- Make decisions competently and efficiently in a timely manner.
- Respond quickly in situations that require rapid change.
- Provide results through quick action.
- Do not think excessively over various problems and tasks.
Customer focus is driving Samsung’s business. Every employee has the same focus on the customer:
- Dedicated meet and exceed the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Ensure that customer commitment is met.
- Anticipate and respond to customer needs now and in the future.
- Obtain information directly from customers and use it to make improvements.
So a bit about this Samsung electronic book, may be useful.